MOK, Heng Ngee
As senior instructor at the School of Information Systems (SIS), Singapore Management University (SMU), Mok teaches computational thinking, software development, design and architecture. He is in charge of operationalizing the Proxor-SMU MOU that allows all SIS undergraduates to take the Proxor Software Developer Exam.
Besides his academic responsibilities, Mok campaigns teaching basic coding to pre-university students in Singapore because (i) he believes that everyone should experience the joys (and sorrows) of coding at least once in life, and (ii) to expose them to a possible IT-related career. Mok’s greatest professional achievement to date was to be bestowed the title of “The Troll” by his students in 2013. He thinks that this extremely dubious honour is way cooler than being “Best Dressed”, “Best Smile”, “Best Catch-Phrase” or “Most Swag”.
He advocates having cute kids, caning naughty kids, durian consumption, voluntary blood donation, first aid/life-saving training and sweaty nature walks. Despite his un-green fingers, Mok loves plants (including the ugly ones) and contributes his photographs of these vegetables to Wikicommons in the hope that this will facilitate the education and activities of plant-lovers all over the world. He also pretends to be an accomplished Google Local Guide by posting mundane photographs to Google maps.
He has been accorded “Elder” status by the Singapore government, and has been discharged from his national service obligations to the Singapore Army due to old age. During his spare time, Mok enjoys sleeping.
· Differentiated instruction
· Cooperative learning and peer learning
· Flipped classroom (some videos I used for programming lessons), MOOCs
· Learning analytics
Undergraduate Courses Taught
· Computational Thinking
· IS Software Foundations
· Object-oriented Application Development
· Completed coursework component of Ed.D. (IoE London/NIE, Singapore)
· M.Sc. (Comm. Software & Networks), Nanyang Technological University
· B.App.Sc (Comp. Eng.), Nanyang Technological University
· Dip. Law, University of London International Programme. Award for Academic Achievement
· Adv. Dip (Corporate Banking), ifs School of Finance (UK)
Academic & Professional Service:
· Principal Investigator for Project “Let’s Code!” – a 3-week blended learning course to introduce programming to pre-university students run by SMU SIS.
· Member, Syllabus Development Committee for A-level Computing Syllabus (H2 Computing), MOE (2015)
· Faculty representative of SIS to the Singapore Computer Society Student Chapter Exco (2012-current)
· Member, Editorial Board of the Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE) (2014-current)
· Member, Horizon Project Higher Education Advisory Board (2013)
· Peer reviewer for the following journals/conferences: International Journal of IT, IEEE Transactions on Education, British Journal of Educational Technology, ascilite 2015, ascilite 2014, ascilite 2013, ascilite 2010, PACIS 2014, PACIS 2016
· Volunteer peer reviewer for SWEBOK Guide v3 (2013)
· Member IEEE
· Member ACM SIGCSE